Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverkip, Millhouse Road, Old Parish Church And Burial-ground

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Burial Vault (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inverkip, Millhouse Road, Old Parish Church And Burial-ground

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Burial Vault (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Burial Vault Of The Shaw-stewarts Of Ardgowan; Kirkbrae House, Burial-vault

Canmore ID 41399

Site Number NS27SW 9

NGR NS 21123 72225

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41399

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Inverkip
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS27SW 9 21123 72225

(NS 2112 7222) Vault (NAT)

on site of Church (NR)

OS 6" map (1958).

Location formerly entered as NS 2112 7222.

For successor and present parish church (Langhouse Road: NS 20988 72171), see NS27SW 30.

In 1170, Baldwin de Bigres, sheriff of Lanark, gave a grant of land to the monks of Paisley Abbey, consisting of the pennyland between the rivulets of Kip and Daff. Eighteen years afterwards there is evidence that the church was already built. It stood on this spot until the late 18th century when the present burial vault of the Shaw-Stewarts was built; according to the ONB and Snoddy, it incorporates part of the old church. The first burial in it was that of Sir John Stewart in 1796.

Orig Par Scot 1851; Name Book 1856; T G Snoddy 1950; Third Stat Acc 1962

As stated above, burial vault of the Shaw-Stewarts of Ardgowan occupies the site of the old parish church. No further information was obtained.

Visited by OS (JD) 21 July 1955.

Scheduled as 'Kirkbrae House, burial vault 65m ENE of... the upstanding remains of an 18th-century burial vault, which incorporates and overlies the remains of the medieval parish church of Inverkip. The monument is located within the eastern half of an associated burial ground. The burial vault was built by the Shaw Stewart family, prominent local landowners [and] remained in use after the demolition of the church... the last burials date to about 1970.'

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 31 March 2011.

Site Management (26 January 2010)

Burial vault of the Shaw-Stewarts of Ardgowan which occupies the site of the old parish church. It stood on this spot until the late 18th century when the present burial vault was built; according to the Object Name Book (Ordnance Survey) and Snoddy, it incorporates part of the old church. The first burial in it was that of Sir John Stewart in 1796. (RCAHMS)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions