Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Ardgowan Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Ardgowan Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Inverkip Castle; Ardgowan House

Canmore ID 41379

Site Number NS27SW 1

NGR NS 20556 72916

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Inverkip
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS27SW 1 20556 72916

(NS 2056 7291) Tower (NR)

(Remains of) (NAT)

OS 1:10000 map (1980)

This tower was originally published as "Ardgowan Castle", the name it is given in the SDD list, however, it is called "Inverkip Castle" by Tranter and Barrow. It now appears as a small but substantial square tower of the late 15th century, now roofless but with the walls intact. It has been three storeys and a garret in height. The main doorway at first floor level, is reached by a comparatively modern stone forestair; the vaulted basement is guarded by a keyhole-type slit.

Inverkip was besiged in 1306 by Robert Royd of Cunningham, a supporter of Robert Bruce. It was in the Stewarts lord-ship, but whether it was held in demesne or not is uncertain (G W S Barrow 1965). The present fortalice is much later (than 14th century), though it may incorporate previous building (N Tranter 1965).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

A rectangular tower, in good condition, situated on the edge of a cliff; it was apparently completely repaired and restored in 1936, several stones with that date having been inserted in the walls. The lower storey has a cellar or storeroom with a vaulted ceiling; the entrance to it is in the N corner of the W wall. The tower is of coursed masonry, measuring 9m by 7m and approximately 12m high; the walls are 1.5m thick and are topped with a small battlement. The windows are broad, rectangular and widened on the inside.

Visited by OS (JD), 21 July 1955.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions