Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Bearasay

Building(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Bearasay

Classification Building(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 4129

Site Number NB14SW 1

NGR NB 121 425

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Uig
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB14SW 1 121 425.

(Area: NB 121 425) The foundations of a few houses close together remain on Bearasay, which was the stronghold of Neil Macleod for three years before his execution in April 1613.

RCAHMS 1928; R Gordon 1813.

Tradition still known locally. Island inaccessible at time of investigation.

Visited by OS (N K B) 22 June 1969.

Five unroofed buildings, one of which is T-shaped, are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 11). The T-shaped unroofed building and three unroofed structure which may represent buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1972).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 4 July 1997.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions