Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Kilbride, Crosbie

Country House (17th Century), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name West Kilbride, Crosbie

Classification Country House (17th Century), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Crosbie Castle; Crosbie Tower; Crosbie Towers; The Avenue

Canmore ID 41209

Site Number NS25SW 11

NGR NS 21804 50069

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41209

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish West Kilbride
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS25SW 11 21816 50059.

(NS 2180 5006) Crosbie (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1980)

Crosbie Tower is a small fortalice of probable early 17th century date, somewhat altered in the second half of the same century, and with a larger modern mansion added. It is L-shaped on plan, consisting of a main block, of two storeys, an attic, and a garret in height, with a stair wing projecting at the SW end rising a storey higher. The building is very plain, many windows have been enlarged, and there are no gunloops or turrets. There was a much earlier tower on the site, which Pont describes, and which was largely taken down and rebuilt after his visit. The NSA (1845) mentions restoration work being carried out in 1837.

N Tranter 1965; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; J Dobie 1876

Crosbie (name confirmed by R Walker, warden, Crosbie Youth Hostel) consists of the 17th century house referred to above, with later additions to the NW and NE. The original entrance in the SW face of the staircase tower has been converted into a window, above it the lintel of a smaller window bears the date 1676. Another tablet bears the date 1896, probably the date of the additions. The house is in good condition and is in use as a youth hostel.

Visited by OS (DS) 12 September 1956

Crosbie is as described, and is now privately owned. A modern plaque by the entrance states that the tower remains are 17th century and adds that "(it) occupies the site of a much earlier tower belonging to the Crauford family. William Wallace, the Scottish patriot, is thought to have had sanctuary here with his uncle Reginald Crauford. (The Source of this information was not established.)

Visited by OS (JRL) 6 December 1982

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: MacGibbon & Ross - restoration? (Said to be one of the homes of Sir W. Wallace.)

Site Management (4 April 2004)

A 17th century house on site of earlier keep; T plan, consisting of a crow-stepped gabled oblong with projecting staircase tower having a small watchroom at the top; 3 storeys and attic; door is in the west side of the tower. Restored in late 19th century and originally contained some good chimneypieces and panelling. (Historic Scotland)

Used as a Youth Hostel during 1970s, now disused.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions