Ardrossan, Stanley Road, Kirkhall Burial Place
Burial Ground (Post Medieval), Burial Vault (18th Century), Gravestone (18th Century)
Site Name Ardrossan, Stanley Road, Kirkhall Burial Place
Classification Burial Ground (Post Medieval), Burial Vault (18th Century), Gravestone (18th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Kirkhall Burial Ground
Canmore ID 41141
Site Number NS24SW 6
NGR NS 23861 43416
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41141
- Council North Ayrshire
- Parish Ardrossan
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Cunninghame
- Former County Ayrshire
NS24SW 6 23861 43416
(NS 2385 4341) Church (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map (1971)
This church was built as a replacement for that described on NS24SW 3, blown down in 1695 (New Statistical Account {NSA} given 1691). It was moved to Saltcoats in 1744 (see NS24SW 44).
H Scott 1920; NSA 1845 (J Bryce)
The only memorial or trace of this church is the tombstone of the minister, the Rev. T Clarke, who was buried within the precincts of the church. This small monument was erected after the church had been translated to Saltcoats.
Name Book 1856
Within a modern fence is a rectangular walled enclosure, 0.7m high, which appears to be the recently restored burial-vault of the Weirs of Kirkhall; a monument to the memory of this family stands within the enclosure. A broken grave-stone, of considerable age, but defaced, lying beside this monument, is possibly mentioned in the ONB. No
traces of the old church exist at this spot, which is being surrounded by a new housing scheme.
Visited by OS (JLD) 7 September 1956
The paved enclosure and the Weir monument are as described; it is not known whether the enclosure is meant to represent the original outline or area of the church, or is just an ornamental feature to surrond the monument. Part of the 18th century sculptured headstone is built into the W wall of the enclosure; it is probably that described by OS (JLD).]
Visited by OS (JRL) 13 October 1982.