Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ardrossan Town Station

Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Ardrossan Town Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ardrossan (Town) Station; Ardrossan Station

Canmore ID 41122

Site Number NS24SW 29

NGR NS 2310 4212

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41122

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Ardrossan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS24SW 29 2310 4212

(Location cited as NS 231 421). Ardrossan (Town) Station, rebuilt c. 1890 by the Glasgow and South-Western Rly. Formerly a 6-platform through and terminal station, with a bay platform at the north end. The main platforms are on the up platform in a 1- and 2-storey ashlar building.

J R Hume 1976.

This intermediate station on the Ardrossan Harbour branch of the Glasgow and South-Western Rly was opened (as Ardrossan Station) by the Ardrossan and Johnstone Rly in 1831. It was renamed Ardrossan Town Station on 2 March 1953 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 1 January 1968.

The new (British Rail) Ardrossan Town station was opened on the same site on 19 January 1987 and remains in regular passenger use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 June 1998.

R V J Butt 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions