Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalry, Monk Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Dalry, Monk Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 40978

Site Number NS24NE 2

NGR NS 29150 47354

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40978

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Kilwinning
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS24NE 2 29150 47354.

(NS 29150 47354) Monk Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1970)

Monk Castle (MacGibbon and Ross) Monkcastle (Tranter): This small, late 16th century mansion has long been ruinous, but its walls remain entire. It measures some 48ft by 18ft, standing two storeys high, with a central staircase tower projecting, and rising one storey higher. The interior is entirely ruinous, the ground floor is vaulted.

The property early belonged to Kilwinning Abbey, but at the Reformation was obtained by the Duke of Chatelherault, who bestowed it on his son Claud, Commendator of Paisley, which may accoount for the mitred head which appears with other sculptures, on a panel above the doorway.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; N Tranter 1965

The remains of Monk Castle are as described. The fabric is in good condition but has been extensively restored by modern brickwork.

Visited by OS (DS) 6 September 1956

No change.

Visited by OS (JRL) 26 October 1982

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions