Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Skelmorlie Castle

Castle (Medieval), Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Skelmorlie Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Skelmorlie Castle And Courtyard Buildings

Canmore ID 40697

Site Number NS16NE 4

NGR NS 19524 65838

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Largs
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS16NE 4 19524 65838

(NS 1951 6585) Skelmorlie Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1969)

According to the OSA, Skelmorlie Castle was built in 1502, and added to in 1636. In 1852 it was restored and incorporated into a large mansion. What remained of the old keep and a tower which formed part of the courtyard containing the offices, were preserved. The keep is a simple oblong, 48 1/2ft by 30ft and 29ft high to the eaves.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; Name Book 1856

Skelmorlie Castle (name confirmed by secretary of R Wilson and Sons Ltd). The massive keep occupies the NE corner of this extensive modern mansion. It has been completely restored and is well preserved. An original angle-turret remains, but windows and chimneys hae been added at a later date. The courtyard is now surrounded on three sides by modern buildings. The castle is owned by Lord Eglinton, and leased to R Wilson and Sons (Food Industries) Ltd.

Visited by OS (JLD) 20 September 1956

The castle was partly destroyed by fire and renovated in 1960, the modern mansion has been largely demolished and the old tower restored approximately to its original appearance.

SDD List 1963; N Tranter 1965

As described, and in excellent external repair. The 19th century NW wing is entirely demolished.

Visited by OS (JRL) 28 February 1983.

Architecture Notes


Built 1502. Restored and extended 1852.

Plans of 1864 and 1856 (copies of drawings) additions at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr.

(Undated) information in NMRS.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions