Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kelly Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Kelly Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Old House Of Kelly

Canmore ID 40692

Site Number NS16NE 1

NGR NS 1980 6851

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40692

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Inverkip
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS16NE 1 1980 6851.

(NS 1980 6851) Kelly Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1969)

The lands of Kelly were given or confirmed by James III (1460-88) to James Bannatyne.

OPS 1851

The old house of Kelly was destroyed in 1740 and no attempt was made by the Bannatynes to rebuild it.

A H Millar 1889

The site of this castle is a smooth grassy knoll; no remains of it are now visible. Mr Lochead states that it was the residence of the Bannatynes, the proprietors of Kelly estate until 1790.

Name Book 1856

The Kelly estate is now used as a caravan and camping site. No trace of the castle was seen during field investigation.

Visited by OS (JD) 21 July 1979

NS 198 685 Above a waterfall, features of the renowned 19th century Kelly Estate Gardens. Report in preparation. LOCHIS listing with the Garden History Society of Scotland.

Research and fieldwork in this area is ongoing. Please contact LOCHIS (Local History in Skelmorlie) if interested.

Sponsor: Local History in Skelmorlie.

A Lee 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions