Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Little Cumbrae Island, New Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Little Cumbrae Island, New Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Little Cumbrae Lighthouse; Cumbrae Elbow

Canmore ID 40680

Site Number NS15SW 15

NGR NS 13760 51514

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40680

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Cumbrae
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Buteshire

Archaeology Notes

NS15SW 15.00 13760 51514

Location formerly cited as NS 1376 5151.

For (superceded and predecessor) 'old' lighthouse (NS 14309 51468), see NS15SW 14.

NS15SW 15.01 NS 1373 5143 Fog Signal

NS15SW 15.02 NS 1369 5156 Slipway

NS15SW 15.03 NS 1368 5173 Jetty

NS15SW 15.04 NS 1371 5151 Boat House

Cumbrae Lighthouse

(occulting white) [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, April 2006.

(Location cited as NS 138 514). Little Cumbrae Lighthouse, first lit 1793 by the Cumbrae Lighthouse Trust. A short circular-section tower, with corbelled walkway with two blocks of keepers' houses, one on a U plan adjoining the tower, the other detached. The fog-horn block has a single-storey flat-roofed engine house.

J R Hume 1977.

First lit 1793, replacing Old Lighthouse (NS15SW 14). A short circular-section tower, with corbelled walkway with two blocks of keepers' houses, one on U-plan adjoining the tower, the other detached. The fog-horn block has a single-storey, flat-roofed engine house.

D B Hague and R Christie 1975; J R Hume 1977; R W Munro 1979.

Activities

Construction (1793)

Replaced by 1757 coal fired lighthouse.

R W Munro 1979; R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

The coal-lit lighthouse first exhibited in 1757, was far from efficient but the increased income from shipping dues enabled a new and improved lighthouse to be built near the coast to the west in 1793 which is still in service. It was designed by Thomas Smith, the first engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, and operated with parabolic facetted mirror glass reflector oil lamps.

The erection of the lighthouse was superintended by Smith’s 19-year-old assistant Robert Stevenson. Stevenson and the family of engineers he founded advised the trust, which later became the Clyde Lighthouses Trust, until 1952. It was the first work for which Stevenson received payment.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions