Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ballochroy

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Ballochroy

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Balochroy

Canmore ID 38960

Site Number NR75SW 3

NGR NR 7309 5242

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38960

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilcalmonell
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR75SW 3 7309 5242.

(NR 7309 5241) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, (1924)

The most southerly of these three standing stones is situated 36.5m NE of cist NR75SW 2 (qv.). It measures 0.6m x 0.6m at the base, and rises fairly evenly to a height of 2.4m, before tapering to a pointed top, 3.4m high. The centre stone, 3.0m high, is 3.0m to the E. It is a thin slab, 1.5m x 0.3m at base, oriented NW-SE. The third stone, 2.0m NE appears to have been broken off at the top. It measures 0.9m x 0.3m at base, and rises with a slight taper to a height of 2.0m.

RCAHMS 1971, visited 1961.

As described by RCAHMS

Surveyed at 1/10 000

Visited by OS (D W R) 13 August 1973.

3 flint pebbles, 2 flint flakes, and 1 flint core from this site, are in Campbelton Museum

DES 1977.

Discussions on the use of these stones and the cist (NR75SW 2) as a 1st millenium BC Solstitial Observatory

E W MacKie 1975; A Thom 1979; G Moir 1981.

Activities

Field Visit (May 1961)

Cist and Standing Stones, Ballochroy.

In a level field 400 m NE. of Ballochroy farmhouse, and at a height of a little over 30 m O.D., there is a remarkable group of monuments consisting of a stone cist and three standing stones (Pl. 10A, B), all situated in a straight line running approximately NE. and SW.

The cist lies at the SW. end of the alignment and is constructed of five slabs, four of which form the sides and ends while the fifth is a massive cap-stone measuring 2.1 m by 1.5 m and 0.3 m in thickness. The internal dimensions are 1.7 m in length by 0.8 m in average breadth and about 0.6 m in depth; the longer axis is aligned NE. and SW. Much of the cist is visible above the surface of the field, the top of the cap-stone being 0.9 m above ground level. That the cist was formerly covered by a large cairn is evident from a sketch of the site made at the end of the 17th century (Lhuyd, pl. v(a)) and from former place-names (Colville 1930, 302 f), but no certain cairn-material is visible at the present time.

The most southerly of the three standing stones is situated 36.5 m NE. of the cist. It measures 0.6 m by 0.6 m at the base and rises fairly evenly to a height of 2.4 m before tapering to a pointed top at a maximum height of 3.4 m. The centre stone stands 3 m to the NE. and is 3 m high; it is a thin slab measuring 1.5 m by 0.3 m at ground level, with the longer axis aligned NW. and SE. The top slopes down steeply towards the NW. The NE. stone, which stands 2 m further to the NE., appears to have been broken off at the top. It measures 0.9 m by 0.3 m at the base and rises with a slight taper to a height of 2 m.

The fact that the cist is situated in close proximity to the standing stones, and on the same alignment, is hardly likely to be fortuitous, and it is possible that all four monuments are contemporary. For a possible analogy see No. 42 (Cairn, Machrihanish, NR62SW 2).

RCAHMS 1971, visited May 1961.

730523 ccxxiii

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions