Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Campbeltown, 1-8 Castlehill Mansions

Castle (Medieval), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Campbeltown, 1-8 Castlehill Mansions

Classification Castle (Medieval), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Castlehill Church; Lochhead Castle; Lowland Church Of Scotland; Castlehill Church Of Scotland

Canmore ID 38796

Site Number NR72SW 15

NGR NR 71812 20205

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38796

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Campbeltown
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR72SW 15 71812 20205

(NR 7181 2020) Castlehill Church (NAT)

on site of Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1924)

Castlehill Church, which replaced that described on NR72SW 18, was erected in 1778-80 to a design of Mr Haswell, an Inveraray architect. It is T-shaped on plan, the main block measuring 23.3m by 15.1m over all while a SW wing projects for a distance of 4.7m. The masonry is of harled rubble with freestone quoins and margins. The main entrance is in the centre of the NE front, but blocked-up doorways can also be seen in the centres of the NW and SE walls.

It occupies the site of the castle of Lochhead, which was built by Archibald, 7th Earl of Argyll, in or about 1609.

RCAHMS 1971, visited 1967.

Nothing remains of the castle. The church is still in use.

Visited by OS (RDL) 8 March 1963.

Castlehill Mansions [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Campbeltown, Castlehill Church.

ARCHITECT: John Brown - superintended building of church.

Haswell 1778-80

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions