Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Jura, Glengarrisdale, An Aros

Castle (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Jura, Glengarrisdale, An Aros

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Aros Castle; Glengarrisdale Castle

Canmore ID 38665

Site Number NR69NW 1

NGR NR 6440 9692

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38665

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Jura
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR69NW 1 6440 9692

(NR 6443 9692) An Aros (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map (1900)

This name, meaning "The Palace", applies to the remains of an old castle at Glengarrisdale.

Name Book 1878

The name "Aros" means "a dwelling".

H C Gillies 1906

At the site of An Aros, are faint indications of two small enclosures of irregular shape perhaps about 30ft across, but no details can be made out with certainty.

E H Rideout 1932

Ever since 1330, the N end of Jura has been owned by the Macleans, with a stronghold, Aros Castle, at Glengarrisdale. This has all but disappeared, its stone probably used to make the existing buildings.

J Mercer 1974.

According to J Mercer (Lealt, Jura), the turf-covered footings of the building situated at NR 6440 9692, on a low, rocky summit immediately to the west of the house of Glengarrisdale, are the remains of An Aros. It measures internally about 11.0m NW-SE by 4.0m wide at the N end, jutting to 5.0m wide in the south; the wall is 0.5m maximum height and 1.1m wide. The interior is sub-divided into three compartments.

The remains do not appear to have the strength of a purpose-built castle, though the walls are slightly wider than those of the usual deserted farmhouse. No other structures resembling a castle can be identified in the area.

Surveyed at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (NKB), 7 May 1978.

There are no identifiable remains of the supposed castle of the MacLeans of Lochbuie that is said to have stood here.

Nearby is Clach nan Arm ('the rock of the weapons'), the reputed burial-place of those who fell in a battle fought

between the MacLeans and the Campbells in 1647.

RCAHMS 1984, visited August 1973.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions