Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Loch Barradil

Crannog (Period Unassigned), Island Dwelling (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Islay, Loch Barradil

Classification Crannog (Period Unassigned), Island Dwelling (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Bharradail

Canmore ID 37741

Site Number NR36SE 5

NGR NR 3928 6361

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37741

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Killarow And Kilmeny
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR36SE 5 3928 6361.

NR 393 635. An islet almost connected to the north bank of Loch Bharradoil may be a crannog. The whole is an oval collection of stones 15 yds by 10yds, with an artificial line of stones in the middle. Much of this 4ft high island may be natural.

W Lamont 1959; F Celoria 1959.

The small low island at the N end of Loch Bharradail is occupied by a platform of masonry debris which measures

37m in maximum length from E to why 20m from N to S.

These indeterminate remains are defined on the N side by the footings of an 8m length of walling which stands to a

maximum height of 0.6m and has an apparent thickness of 2.5m.

Visited May 1976

RCAHMS 1984

At NR 3929 6361, occupying the south-west part of an islet in the shallow, reedy Loch Bharradail, is a crannog, partially turf-covered and measuring 17.0m NE-SW by 13.0m transversely. It is generally flat-topped and noticeably stone, and is 0.6m above the level of the islet. Crude facing is apparent along the north-west side, and a small number of stones on the platform have been set on edge, but they form no recognisable pattern. There is no evidence of a causeway. The level of the loch has receded; a rise of the water level of about 0.5m. would submerge the islet but for the crannog, and isolate it from the shore.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (N K B) 3 July 1978.

NR 3928 6362 Located 10.5m from the N shore of Loch Bharradail, from which it is separated by a stretch of quicksand-like mud, 3m in minimum depth. The site can only be accessed by means of a causeway of medium-sized stone, 2m wide and 9.5m long, which connects it to the N shore. This causeway was 0.2m below the surface of mud at the time of survey and was found by probing the mud.

The artificial island is oval, measuring 29m NW-SE by 45m NE-SW at its base with the long axis running parallel to the near shore. The base of the site consists of a mound of gravel and small stone which slopes up gently at an 8 degree angle from the surrounding silty loch bed. Near the water level the site is ringed by a 3m wide scatter of 70% medium and 30% large stones. The upper platform, which crowns the top of the site 1.7m above the surrounding loch bed, is also oval, measuring 36m NE-SW by 20m NW-SE, and roughly corresponded to water level at the time of survey. The W end of the upper platform is occupied by a roughly oval, dense scatter of large boulders, which measures 15m NE-SW by 11m NW-SE. Many of the boulders are roughly rectangular and have angular surfaces. As previously mentioned by the RCAHMS, the N side of this scatter is contained by a 12m long section of drystone walling, composed of large boulders standing roughly 0.5m in height. The walling runs down the centre of the upper platform, with its surviving face oriented to the N, its other face presumably obscured by the boulder scatter.

Sponsors: Edinburgh University Archaeology Department, Holley & Associates.

M W Holley 1996

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions