Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Risabus Oa Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Risabus Oa Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Oa Parish Church; Telford Church, Oa Parliamentary Church

Canmore ID 37625

Site Number NR34SW 17

NGR NR 31420 43639

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37625

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kildalton And Oa
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR34SW 17 31420 43639

Church (ruin) [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010.

For (presumably associated) Oa manse (NR 3173 4367), see NR34SW 27.

(Oa Church, built by Thomas Telford in 1828. Now derelict and in bad condition.)

HBD No. 15.

A roofless church, the walls of which still stand to their original height.

Visited by OS (BS) 3 June 1978.

Telford church.

S Hackett and N Livingston 1984.

Site Management (23 April 2010)

T-plan. Harled. Gabled. Roofless Belfry in pyramidal stone cap. Skews. Band courses. Pointed lattice windows and doorways. Only the walls remain. Interior has grass-grown floor. Memorial tablet to ministers 1829-1930. Originally a Parliamentary Church. The Oa became a q.s. parish, 1849 but was united with Kildalton this century. (ref: Historic Scotland) Erected by Aberdeen builders John Gibb and William Minto to a standard two door design by Crinan Canal surveyor William Thomson. The church was damaged by fire in 1915 and finally closed in 1930. (ref: FA Walker)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions