Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Islay, Dun Mideir

Dun (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Dun Mideir

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Gearach

Canmore ID 37454

Site Number NR26SW 28

NGR NR 2252 6090

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37454

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilchoman
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR26SW 28 2252 6090.

(NR 2253 6089) Dun Mideir (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900).

Dun Mideir [NR]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1981.

Dun Mideir. 2/5 mile N of no. 17 [NR26SW 26], a rocky peak [at] 300ft [91.5m] OD, of about the same dimensions as no. 17 [NR26SW 26], and girt with a similar wall, but with traces of a cross wall dividing it and later walls running up to the cliff's base.

There are 'old crofts' between this 'castle' and Dun Glas Loin Ghuirm (NR26SW 26).

(This is one of five duns situated on the moors between Loch Indall and Machair Bay (on the West coast): only a group of three near Loch Gearach were visited).

V G Childe 1935, no. 18.

A dun, situated on a rocky knoll, and measuring 15m by 9m within a wall at least 2m thick. The remains consist of a grass-grown spread of rubble with a few outer facing stones still in situ. The position of the entrance is not clear. The site has been heavily robbed for secondary buildings.

RCAHMS 1984.

This dun occupies the summit of a rocky knoll, 6.4m high and largely grass-covered, situated near the head of the

broad valley that extends northward from Loch Gearach. Two neighbouring duns, (RCAHMS 1984, Nos. 205 and 212), are in full view 600m to the NNW and S respectively.

The dun has been severely damaged by stone-robbing and by the construction of field-boundaries and associated

enclosures and buildings of relatively recent date, the remains of which can be seen on and around the dun itself. A

grass-grown spread of rubble core material with a few outer facing-stones still in position indicates that the dun measured about 15m by 9m within a wall at least 2m thick. The entrance was probably on the E, where there is a gap situated in line with the entrance to a later building whose foundations overlie the dun wall and occupy the N part of the interior.

RCAHMS 1984, visited May 1976.

The grass covered remnants of a dun as described by the RCAHMS. The secondary buildings and walling to the E and W of the knoll are part of the extensive 18th/19th century settlement of this area.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (B S) 15 May 1978.

Activities

Field Visit (23 May 1934 - 25 May 1934)

Visited by Childe in 1934.

V G Childe 1935

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions