Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Port Charlotte

Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Port Charlotte

Classification Village (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 37302

Site Number NR25NE 14

NGR NR 2526 5817

NGR Description Centred NR 2526 5817

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37302

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilchoman
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR25NE 14.00 centred 2526 5817

NR25NE 14.01 NR 25284 58340 Port Charlotte Hotel

NR25NE 14.02 NR 2528 5858 Museum of Islay Life

Architecture Notes

This well-preserved planned village was founded on the farm of Glassans by Walter Frederick Campbell of Islay in 1828,

and was named in honour of his mother. Lady Charlotte Campbell.' Although occupying a coastal site on the w shore

of Loch Indaal, the settlement was primarily agricultural in its original purpose and was partly intended to serve a

distillery, which was established in 1829

The remains of Lochindaal Distillery are situated at the N end of the village on the right bank of the Abhuinn Gearach, and groups of domestic buildings are arranged in a curvilinear pattern over a distance of about 500m on the w side of the highway which runs southwards to Portnahaven. At the centre of the village, terraced rows of houses are also grouped on the lower (E) side of this road and along the lanes leading down to and fronting the fore-shore; one of these lanes intersects the main road and continues its ascent westwards towards a former school-building and ultimately to

Kilchiaran. Linear walled gardens are ranged behind the W properties, and the principal agricultural lots were originally

situated further to the W.

The houses are for the most part plain two-storeyed rectangular blocks of symmetrical three-bay design, whose

frontages vary between about 8-7m and 10-1 m in width. They are constructed of harled or rendered limewashed

rubble-masonry, and the majority have painted offset doorway-margins wrought with a simple chamfer. The first

floor of one of the low-level houses on the E side of the main road is reached directly by a bridge, and a building with an external forestair stands near the shore at the S end of the village.

Visited August 1977

RCAHMS 1984

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions