Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glenury Viaduct

Railblock (Second World War) (1940), Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Site Name Glenury Viaduct

Classification Railblock (Second World War) (1940), Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Stonehaven Viaduct; Cowie Water; Cowie Stop Line

Canmore ID 36945

Site Number NO88NE 60

NGR NO 86918 86944

NGR Description NO 86807 86813 to NO 86999 87013

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36945

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fetteresso
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO88NE 60 86807 86813 to 86999 87013

Not to be confused with Skatie Shore viaduct (NO 8883 8800 to 8886 8812), for which see NO88NE 62.

(Location cited as NO 868 869). Glenury Viaduct, opened c. 1850 by rhe Aberdeen Rly. and rebuilt 1883-4 by Blaikie Bros., Aberdeen. A 10-span viaduct, with wrought-iron plate girders (formerly wooden arches) on masonry piers.

J R Hume 1977.

This viaduct carries the Glasgow-Aberdeen (main) line of the former Caledonian Rly. (which was extensively used by Edinburgh-Aberdeen trains of the former North British Rly.) over the deep valley of the Cowie Water.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 19 September 1997.

Activities

Note (26 January 2021)

A railblock was established on the viaduct which was part of the Cowie Line a stop line of invasion defenses.

G Barclay 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions