Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ury House

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Ury House

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Old House Of Ury; Urie; Ury House Estate; Ury House Policies

Canmore ID 36912

Site Number NO88NE 32

NGR NO 85944 87721

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36912

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fetteresso
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Architecture Notes

NO88NE 32.00 85944 87721

NO88NE 32.01 85579 88950 Houff of Ury (Mausoleum)

NO88NE 32.02 85592 88922 Houff of Ury, Enclosing Walls

NO88NE 32.03 87013 88916 North Lodge

NO88NE 32.04 86418 86784 South Lodge

NO88NE 32.05 85323 87538 Blue Lodge

NO88NE 32.06 85800 88265 Ury Home Farm (and Sawmill)

NO88NE 32.07 85624 88242 Keeper's Cottage

NO88NE 32.08 85749 87897 Walled Garden

NO88NE 32.09 87140 87389 New Mains of Ury

NO88NE 32.10 87059 87289 New Mains of Ury Cottages

NO88NE 32.11 85956 87738 Terrace Walls

NO88NE 32.12 85819 87932 Coach House (Baille Na Choile)

NO88NE 32.13 85322 87523 Blue Lodge, Gate

NO88NE 32.14 86021 87767 Bridge over Ury Burn

NO88NE 32.15 85994 87803 Ice-house

NO88NE 32.16 85540 87800 Viaduct over Cowie Water

NO88NE 32.17 86425 86768 New Lodge, Boundary Walls and Gate-piers

Ury House.

ARCHITECT: John Baird (Primus) - for Baird Family 1855, extensive additions later - gutted (Wing added 1884)

Alexander Ross 1882 - additions.

DEMOLISHED 1956

NMRS PLANS: F.A.M.MacDonald Collection

For plantation bank within Ury House policies (at NO 8641 8690), see NO88NE 45.

In 1854 the early 17th-century house of Ury was demolished to make way for the present mansion, now in a dilapidated condition. It was an L-plan house of three storeys, subsequently converted to the Z-plan by the addition of round towers at two of the diagonally opposite angles, and it is said to have been vaulted throughout.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1794; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; A Jervise 1861; W Macfarlane 1906-8; E H M Cox 1935; RCAHMS 1984, visited December 1983.

Listed.

Scottish Castle Survey 1988; N Bogdan and I B D Bryce 1991.

Visible on air photograph AAS/93/06/G14/15. Copy held by Grampian Regional Council.

Information from M Greig, Grampian Regional Council, March 1994.

Site Management (15 May 1990)

Country house by John Baird ("no 1") of Glasgow, 1855, wing added 1884 by an unidentified architect. Now (1990) a roofless shell, the roof having been removed in post-war period. Ashlar, with sculptured detailing. ORIGINAL HOUSE: in revived English Tudor/Jacobean style, with off-centre tall square entrance tower with porch-cochere; otherwise 2/3 storeys; variety of window openings, mostly hood-moulded, often mullioned some canted/oriel windows, enormous mullioned and transomed window right hand of tower may have lit large hall; gabled dormer heads reach above eaves, bays set forward from main wall-planes are also gabled; engaged angle shafts, parapets, stacks. Double-gabled, return elevation to right is almost villa-like.WING: is on left-hand side of main front where front wall is breached; one pair gables crow-stepped; front wall. Buttressed, stepped, channeled and rock-faced terrace wall. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Standing Building Recording (10 October 2014 - 20 June 2016)

A Level 2 standing building survey was carried out between October 2014 and June 2016 during the soft strip of Ury House. Architects plans and elevations were annotated and a photographic survey carried out of internal and external walls and features. No access to the upper floors was possible during the first visits but when replacement floors were added and most areas became accessible and were recorded. Ury House is a country house built by John Baird of Glasgow in 1855 to replace an older house and a sketch exists of this earlier house. Baird closely modelled the plans for Ury on Burn's Carstairs with its big square entrance tower and porte cochere and mullioned and transomed windows. A wing was added 1884 by an unidentified architect and the building was abandoned after 1945 and was roofless at the first stages of the survey; new floors and roof were added part way through the survey. It is constructed from sandstone ashlar, a 'grotesquely affluent Tudor mansion'. Two phases of development of the main house were identified with several smaller modifications. The walled garden and ice-house, which are due to be redeveloped during a later phase, still require completion of the Level 2 Standing Building Survey.

Information from OASIS ID: camerona1-315068 (A Cameron) 2016

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions