Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Scurdie Ness

Battery (18th Century)

Site Name Scurdie Ness

Classification Battery (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Montrose Harbour Approach

Canmore ID 36225

Site Number NO75NW 16

NGR NO 7328 5669

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36225

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Craig
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO75NW 16 7328 5669

(NO 7328 5669) Battery (NR) (Site of)

OS 1:10000 map (1975).

Remains of the breastwork still exist. Mr Pert (fisherman) remembers guns being in the old fort during, and after, the French war.

OS Name Book 1858.

The remains of a square earthen fort, each side being c.50' in length, is on the coast just south of the estuary of the Esk. The walls were 16' thick, and formerly c.6' high. Within it was a building used for sheltering men and storing ammunition. Outside the enclosure, and facing the mouth of the river, was an earthen rampart.

Tradition states that it was used in Cromwell's time: and it was fortified in 1745. Around 1770, a beacon tower was erected on the site.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1792; A J Warden 1882

Only a scatter of stones exists at the site of the battery - no feature survives.

Visited by OS (JLD) 26 June 1958.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions