Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Redhall Tile Works

Tile Works (19th Century)

Site Name Redhall Tile Works

Classification Tile Works (19th Century)

Canmore ID 361668

Site Number NO35NE 108

NGR NO 38648 58137

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/361668

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Kirriemuir
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Activities

Note (6 March 2019)

NGR NO 38648 58137 (centred on the kiln)

The Tile works is shown on the initial OS maps of 1861/62 as ‘Old Tile Works’ and consisted of a kiln, 12m x 8m, and drying shed, 6m x 44m(Forfarshire XXXI.4 (Kirriemuir) Survey date: 1861 Publication date: 1863). There are no signs of there having been either a pug-mill or soaking pit/s either on the map or on the ground. There is a ‘pond’ shown to the north-east of the site which was probably the source of the clay.

It was built at the behest of the Misses Wilkie of Auchlishie some time between 1841 and 1851. Work ceased in 1858. The Valuation Roll Extract for the year 1858 - 59 states that ‘Redhall Tileworks, Given up & not wrought.’

There are no signs left on the ground of either the kiln or the drying shed. A row of four cottages was built in 1867 and it is possible that these were built from the stone of the kiln. They burnt down in 1925.

The only physical sign remaining is the spoil heap on the bluff to the south of the site.

Information from Mr P Bolt, 6 March 2019

Sources: Census, 1851;Valuation Roll, 1868 - 69; Kirriemuir Herald, 16/7/1925; Valuation Roll, 1925 -26

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions