Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Braikie Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Braikie Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Brackie Castle; Tower; Brakoe Castle; Brackie Castle

Canmore ID 35832

Site Number NO65SW 20

NGR NO 62846 50893

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/35832

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Kinnell
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO65SW 20 62846 50893.

(NO 6285 5089) Tower (NR)

OS 6" map, (1970)

(Though called 'Brackie Castle' by MacGibbon and Ross (1887-92), all other authorities consulted give the name of this monument as 'Braikie Castle'. It is an excellent example of a later 16th century laird's house, having been built in 1581 - the date given on a heraldic panel above the door - for Thomas Fraser, a son of the 5th Lord Lovat. It is tall and L-shaped, of four storeys and a garret, with a stair-turret rising above first-floor level in the re-entrant and an angle-turret, now roofless (Tranter 1962-70), at the SW gable. Features are the tall chimney-stack which rises beside the stair-turret, and the large number of shotholes. The door is in the re-entrant, protected by an iron yett and wide splayed gunloops. It is now in a neglected condition (Tranter 1962-70).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; N Tranter 1962-70.

When seen in 1958, Braikie Castle was still roofed and entire, though it was unoccupied and the walls beginning to crumble.

Visited by OS (J L D) 19 June 1958.

Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1980.

Visible on RCAHMS air photograph AN 4386-90

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions