Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Letham Grange

Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Site Name Letham Grange

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 35451

Site Number NO64NW 19

NGR NO 6234 4584

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/35451

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Arbroath And St Vigeans
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO64NW 19 6234 4584.

(NO 6234 4584) Souterrain (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1970)

The site of a souterrain discovered about the middle of the 19th century and exposed again about 1885 when it was probably removed. It was built into a gravelly bank, a dry, well-drained site, but otherwise little is known of it beyond the fact that one of the stones, robbed for building purposes, was later found to bear cup and cup-and-ring marks and was donated to the NMAS by John Hay in 1865. It is an irregular boulder of sandstone 31" by 44" by 11" thick and the whole surface being covered with cups 1" to 2" in diameter and circles 3 1/2" to 9 1/2" in diameter (Acc No IA5).

F T Wainwright 1963; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1868

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions