Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Randerston Farmhouse

Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (16th Century)

Site Name Randerston Farmhouse

Classification Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Randerston House; Randerston Castle; Randerston Farm House

Canmore ID 35368

Site Number NO61SW 5

NGR NO 60863 10842

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/35368

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kingsbarns
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO61SW 5.00 60863 10842

(NO 6084 1074) Randerston (NAT)

OS 6" map (1912/38).

See also NO61SW 4.

NO61SW 5.01 NO 60812 10738 Randerston Farm (steading)

The farmhouse of Randerston was built in the latter part of the 16th century superseding "the castle of Randerston" (NO61SW 42) mentioned in 1528, which stood on the shore rather more than half a mile eastward. The plan is a variant of the L plan the wing not being in alignment with, but in advance of, the main block, thus forming two re-entrant angles. The masonry is of harled rubble with exposed dressings. The gables are crow-stepped. The upper floors have been modernised. The lintel of the garden entrance is inscribed M.B. M.H. 1678.

In 1429 James I granted to Thomas de Myrtoun, dean of Glasgow, the lands of "Randalstoun" in the Constablulary of Crail. They then passed to the Moncrieffes and in 1663 the property including the "tower, fortalice and manor-place" were bought by Michael Balfour of Pitmedden.

Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot; C Rogers 1877; RCAHMS 1933.

NO 6086 1083. Randerston is as described by RCAHMS and is in good condition. In the SW re-entrant angle is a tower with corbelled turret, another turret projecting at the NW angle. A modern porch has been erected in the NE angle, and an addition has been made to the south wing.

Visited by OS (DS), 15 October 1956.

Name confirmed as Randerston.

Information from Mrs Simpson, owner, Randerston, 1956.

No change.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 3 September 1968.

Activities

Field Visit (18 June 1927)

Randerston.

The farmhouse of Randerston, lying three-quarters of a mile north of Crail, was built in the latter part of the 16th century, superseding "the castle of Randelston," mentioned in 1528 (1), which stood on the shore rather more than half a mile eastward. It is a laird's house of modest dimensions with a vaulted ground floor, two upper floors, and a garret. The plan is a variant of the L-plan, the wing not being in alignment with, but in advance of, the gable of the main block and thus forming two re-entrant angles. In the western re-entrant is the stair-tower. It is circled below and provided with gunloops to protect the original entrance, which was situated at the stair-foot but is corbelled out to rectangular form in the upper part, where there is a little chamber. The lower part of the southern gable and of the stair-tower are masked by a modern addition. Turrets are corbelled out on two angles of the building; the upper part of each has been removed, and the main roofs oversail them. The masonry is of haded rubble with exposed dressings. The gables are crow-stepped. On the ground floor of the wing there is a vaulted chamber, which was entered at the stair-foot. The main block contains two vaulted chambers, the smaller having a passage on one Side, which also opened to the stair-foot, and including a service stair which gives ·direct access to the chamber above. The upper floors have been modernised. The lintel of the garden entrance is inscribed M.B. M.H. 1678.

HISTORICAL NOTE. - In 1429 James I granted to Thomas de Myrtoun, dean of Glasgow, for his good services, the lands of "Randalstoun" and Ladylands in the constabulary of Crail, which Sir John Sibbald (of Balcomie) had resigned (2). The lands remained with Myrtouns (Mortouns) till the first quarter of the 17th century (3), when they were purchased by a brother of Moncrieffe, laird of Balcaskie. From his heirs the property, including the "tower, fortalice and manor-place," was bought in 1663 by Michael Balfour of Pitmedden (4), second son of Balfour of Denmiln (5), with whose descendants it continued.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 18 June 1927.

(1) Register of the Collegiate Church of Crail, No. 95. (2) Reg. Mag. Sig., s.a., No. 130. (3) See Reg. Coll. Church of Crail, p. 49. (4) Reg. Mag. Sig., s.a., No. 505. (5) Lamont's Diary, p. 167.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions