Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Sanday, St Columba's Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Sanday, St Columba's Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Burness, Old Parish Church; Burness Graveyard

Canmore ID 3512

Site Number HY64SE 20

NGR HY 671 449

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/3512

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Cross And Burness
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY64SE 20 671 449.

The old parish church of Burness was dedicated to St Columba.

A Ross 1898; H Marwick 1923.

There is a local tradition of a church dedicated to St Columba having been in the burial ground centred at HY 671 449, but it was completely removed. The burial ground is still in use.

Visited by OS (RL) 9 July 1970.

Activities

Orkney Smr Note (June 1979)

The former parish church of Burness, dedicated to St Colm.

[R1], [R2]

Local tradition of church dedicated to St Columba, in burial

ground still in use, church completely removed. OS visit Jul 70.

The usual confusion between St Colm and St Columba. - The

strong local tradition is that the parish church of Burness was

St Columba's while the chapel on Holms of Ire was dedicated to

St Colm.

Information from Orkney SMR (RGL) Jun 79, OR 106.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions