Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

River Clyde

Dock (19th Century)

Site Name River Clyde

Classification Dock (19th Century)

Canmore ID 350850

Site Number NS46NW 93

NGR NS 49544 69677

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Old Kilpatrick (Clydebank)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydebank
  • Former County Dunbartonshire


Desk Based Assessment (1 June 2016)

Nothing is now visible of this dock as it was depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map (Dumbarton 1864, Sheet XXVIII.2 (Combined)) on the north bank of the River Clyde. It comprised little more that a rectangular cut into the river bank measuring about 103m from NE to SW by 40m transversely. The SE side of the dock was stone-lined and a drain ran into its north corner. By the 1890s the dock as shown on the 1st edition map had been completely destroyed and replaced by a much larger dock that was associated with the adjacent Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Works, later John Brown’s Shipyard (NS46NE 29).

Information from HES Survey and Recording (JRS) 1 June 2016.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions