Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

River Clyde, Erskine, North Jetty

Beacon (20th Century), Jetty (19-20th Century)

Site Name River Clyde, Erskine, North Jetty

Classification Beacon (20th Century), Jetty (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) St Patrick's Light

Canmore ID 350362

Site Number NS47SE 324

NGR NS 46095 72412

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/350362

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Erskine
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Activities

Field Visit (27 May 2015)

The remains of this jetty, which now extends some 60m into the River Clyde from its SW bank, are situated immediately NW of the Erskine Bridge (NS47SE 70). It measures 3.6m in breadth and comprises a rubble core within facing blocks and there is a narrow, slab-topped culvert running along its centre. Nowadays, the jetty extends only as far as St Patrick’s Light – a 20th century beacon that has been sited on a rock outcrop, but the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Renfrewshire 1863, sheet IV) depicts ‘North Jetty’ extending at least a further 20m NE to a beacon which appears to have been removed in the late 19th century and of which there are now no visible remains (see NS47SE 358).

The later beacon (NS 46109 72428) is an active navigation beacon comprising a 3m high concrete plinth that supports a cast iron gas cylinder with the light on top. The beacon was originally powered by compressed gas, but it has more recently been fitted with a solar-powered light.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH, DD) 27 May 2015.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions