Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balgavies Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Balgavies Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 34904

Site Number NO55SW 13

NGR NO 53962 51605

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34904

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Aberlemno
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO55SW 13 53962 51605

(NO 5396 5160) Balgavies Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1969)

A solitary arch marks the site of the old castle of Balgavies.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845.

Balgavie Castle was razed to the foundation by James VI during his journey to the north after the defeat of Argyll in 1593. The castle had been surrounded by a moat, but all that remains are the foundations and some arches.

A J Warden 1880-5.

The remains of Balgavies Castle are situated on a natural knoll, and are thickly overgrown with vegetation. No moat was noted but it is not unlikely that this site was ditched around the base of the knoll. The remains consist of 2 barrel vaults lying E-W and forming a whole rectangular area of 8.0 x 6.0m - each being 4.0m wide and 2.5m high. A small rectilinear window exists in the north wall of the west vault showing the walls to be 1.3m thick. The floors of the vaults are sunk 0.8m below the outer ground level. The vaults are in crumbling condition, and are of coursed rubble construction.

The course of a wall can be faintly traced among the undergrowth parallel to, and 1.5m distant from, the south front of the vaults. It is again noted on the west side of the vaults 3.0m from them. A fragment of a curving wall was noted c.12.0m SW of the vaults and may possibly be the foundation of a round tower. These wall foundations are c.1.0m wide; but excavation is required to determine their exact character.

Visited by OS (JLD) 27 August 1958.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions