Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Careston Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Careston Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Caraldston Castle; Carreston Castle

Canmore ID 34799

Site Number NO55NW 2

NGR NO 53074 59888

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34799

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Careston
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO55NW 2 53074 59888.

(NO 5305 5989) Careston Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1970)

Careston House is a plain structure with two wings terminating in gables. It was erected by one of the Lindsays and is of the period 1542-1700.

Visited by OS (JLD) 9 July 1958.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

Careston Castle. The only part of this large mansion which can be taken to date from the 17th century is the frontage, or south face, which has two wing gables. The old block is contained within a mass of 19th century additions, and on the north is a plain projecting wing which appears to be no older than 18th century work. An armorial panel in the south front bears the date '1714'. A round stair-turret is contained in the re-entrant angle of the west wing, and there are angle turrets, some modern, on the northern projections (within the mansion mass).

Information from Mrs W J Campbell-Adamson, Owner, Careston Castle.

Architecture Notes

NO55NW 2.00 53074 59888

NO55NW 2.01 c.532 589 Careston, South Gates

NO55NW 2.02 53027 59943 Careston, Old Gates

NO56SW 37 Careston Castle, North Lodge

NMRS REFERENCE

Early seventeenth century. Traditional style. Very fine fireplaces etc. Medium size.

Owner: Adamson.

Plans: Ian G. Lindsay Collection, W/333.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions