Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Letham Hill

Socketed Stone (19th Century), Triangulation Station (19th Century)

Site Name Letham Hill

Classification Socketed Stone (19th Century), Triangulation Station (19th Century)

Canmore ID 346095

Site Number NT18SW 423

NGR NT 14682 83637

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/346095

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dalgety
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Activities

Field Visit (9 January 2015)

The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Fife 1856, Sheet 39) depicts a trigonometrical point (as a small open triangle with a dot at its centre) on the ridge that marks the boundary between Inverkeithing parish to the west and Dalgety parish to the east. Nothing is now visible of that station, but at its location there is a socket-stone for a flagpole depicted on Greenwood and Fowler's Map of the counties of Fife and Kinross' (NLS: EMS.s.325). It is a roughly squared block of stone that measures 0.84m from WNW to ESE by 0.57m transversely. At the centre of its flat upper surface, which is flush with the surrounding ground, there is a flat-bottomed socket measuring 0.24m in diameter by 0.2m in depth. The NW edge of the socket has been damaged.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 9 January 2015.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions