Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fortrose, Ness Road East, Fortrose And Rosemarkie Golf Course Clubhouse

Clubhouse [19th Century]-[20th Century], Guardhouse [first World War]

Site Name Fortrose, Ness Road East, Fortrose And Rosemarkie Golf Course Clubhouse

Classification Clubhouse [19th Century]-[20th Century], Guardhouse [first World War]

Alternative Name(s) Inverness Naval Base Defences Guard House

Canmore ID 346055

Site Number NH75NW 341.01

NGR NH 74000 56660

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/346055

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosemarkie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Note (12 January 2015)

The golf course was formed on the 9 September 1888. The golf clubhouse was built and opened in 1895, prior to that the club members left their clubs with the governor of the local poorhouse (NH75NW 211 and 212).

the first clubhouse stood until 1934 when it was replaced. During the First World War the club web site history page states that the building was used as a guard house for the Highland Cyclist Battalion, however it may have been used for the men of the coast battery which was built to protect the approaches to Inverness and the naval base. The clubhouse had to repaired after considerable damaged inflicted by the military use of the building.

The new club house built in 1934 was requisitioned in 1940 by the military for the Second World War. This clubhouse was replaced by a new building in 1959 paid by Miss Isa Ross and this was extended in 1977.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 12 January 2015.

Information from Fortrose and Rosemarkie Golf Club website.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions