Linn Of Tummel
Fish Ladder (19th Century) - (20th Century)
Site Name Linn Of Tummel
Classification Fish Ladder (19th Century) - (20th Century)
Alternative Name(s) River Tummel; Falls Of Tummel
Canmore ID 345318
Site Number NN95NW 212
NGR NN 91026 59977
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/345318
- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Moulin
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Perth And Kinross
- Former County Perthshire
Reference (1999 - 2000)
The fish pass was one of the first of its types, dating from 1910. It is 140m in length, and approximately 2m in width. It was originally blasted through the rock to provide a easy route for spawning fish to bypass the Tummel falls. It was rendered obsolete soon after by the creation of Loch Faskally. There are two points where sluices could be fitted to provide maintenance access.
Associated with it are a series of railings, steps and a path on the river-side of the pass. It is believed that they were installed as an aid for fishermen. The date of these features is unknown, although they may possibly be contemporary with the fish pass.
Further towards the confluence of the rivers Tummel and Garry is a large flat area, approximately 150m in diameter, separated from the rest of the river banks by a dry channel, approximately 5m wide and 1.5m deep. The sides of the banks are mostly vegetated, although in some places large rocks show through, suggesting that this was the spoil left from the creation of the fish pass.
(LIT99 03)
Information from NTS (SCS) October 2014
