St Andrews, South Street, Blackfriars' Chapel
- Council Fife
- Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
- Former Region Fife
- Former District North East Fife
- Former County Fife
NO51NW 5.00 50764 16565
NO51NW 5.01 5075 1654 Monastery
(NO 50751654) Black Friars' Chap (NR) (Remains of)
Black Friars' Monastery (NR) (AD 1274) (Site of).
OS 25" map (1914)
See also St Andrews, South Street, Madras College (NO51NW 273: NO 50773 16438).
The house of Black Friars was founded by Bishop Wishart (1272-1279). The construction of the chapel or aisle (the sole remains) was authorised by Archbishop Beaton in 1525. The house was sacked in June 1559. The remaining portion of the church lies within the grounds of Madras College. It measures internally 26ft N-S by 21ft E-W. It is apsidal-ended and has originally had radial buttresses.
The remains of the chapel are as described above, and are in a fair state of preservation.
Visited by OS (JLD) 16 October 1956
The condition of the remains of the chapel is unchanged. No trace of the Monastery remains.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 29 May 1964