St Andrews, Church Of The Holy Trinity Of Kilrimund
Church (Period Unassigned)
- Council Fife
- Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
- Former Region Fife
- Former District North East Fife
- Former County Fife
NO51NW 17 5147 1668.
(Area NO 5147 1668) The Parish Church was founded by Bishop Turgot in 1112. It is supposed that the first church stood in the east part of the burgh (of St Andrews) probably where the priory buildings were afterwards erected, and this is to some extent supported by the fact that the great tithes of the parish were conferred by Bishop Richard (1163-78) upon the priory, thus converting the parish into a vicarage." A H Millar 1895
"The Town Church...The original parish church mentioned in 1163 as the church of the Holy Trinity of Kilrimund, stood a little beyond the east gable of the Cathedral (NO51NW 2). Not until 1412 was the church founded in the heart of the city. (For this site see NO51NW 6).
D H Fleming 1914
Parish Church founded by Turgot, Bishop of St Andrews from 1107-1115, and dedicated by Bishop Bernham in 1242. A bell from this church, bearing an inscription and the date 1108 is said to be in St Paul's Cathedral. A portion of carved panel from the church bearing the date 1115 is preserved in the Council Chamber of the Town Hall.
D H Fleming 1881
A Celtic altar tomb was found, according to Stuart, 'about thirteen yards north from the Tower of St Regulus (NO51NW 2.1) at a depth of six or seven feet' (J Stuart 1856).
"If Stuart is correct then the sarcophagus was found very near the site of the first parish church; and it is note-worthy that very many of the other Celtic stones have been discovered there, that is, north from St Rule's and east from the east gable of the Cathedral" (Foundations shown in this area on plan 1, p.2.) Sarcophagus site c.NO 515 167.
D H Fleming 1931
No traces of this church exist in the immediate area of the east gable of the Cathedral. The site is occupied by the graveyard.
Visited by OS (JLD) 17 October 1956
Visited by OS (WDJ) 28 May 1964