Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Anstruther Easter, Wightman's Wynd, Dreel Castle

Castle (Medieval), Wall (16th Century)

Site Name Anstruther Easter, Wightman's Wynd, Dreel Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Wall (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Old Wall

Canmore ID 34194

Site Number NO50SE 9

NGR NO 56528 03573

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34194

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Anstruther Easter
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO50SE 9 56529 03573.

(NO 5652 0357) Dreel Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1912)

At the end of Castle Wynd, the rock projecting into the creek at the mouth of the Dreel Burn is pointed out as the site of Dreel Castle, which may be the same builing as Anstruther Castle (? Anstruther Place - see NO50SE 11). The wall at the lower part of the wynd on the west side dates from the 16th century and bears traces of many alterations. At the southern end is a loophole of 'dumb-bell' shape.

RCAHMS 1933

The connection of the Anstruther family in the district dates from the time of David I (1124-53) when William de Candela, a Norman baron, settled here and probably built the oldest portion of what afterwards became known as the Castle of Dreel. The family name of de Anstruther was assumed about 1225.

The old castle has disappeared. It is said to have been a square tower of great strength built on the margin of the Dreel Burn, close by the sea.

The castle was taken and possibly damaged by Cromwell's army in 1651. Charles II visited the castle in that year, a visit which possibly led Sir Philip Anstruther to construct a new mansion after the restoration in 1663 (see NO50SE 11). The ruins were partly habitable in 1732 but

had disappeared at the beginning of the 19th century.

A H Millar 1895

There is no trace of Dreel Castle although at the bottom of Wightman's Wynd is a sqaure building incorporating several dressed stones which probably came from the castle.

Visited by OS (JP) 29 May 1974

Activities

Field Visit (29 June 1927)

Dreel Castle and Castle Wynd.

At the end of Castle Wynd the rock projecting into the creek at the mouth of the Dreel Burn is pointed out as the site of Dreel Castle, which may have been the same building as Anstruther Castle. The wall at the lower part of the wynd on the west side dates from the 16th century and bears traces of many alterations. At the southern end is a loophole of ‘dumb-bell’ shape. On the east side of the wynd is a 17th century house, the entrance to which has a bolection moulded architrave.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 29 June 1927.

Photographic Survey (July 1963)

Photographic survey of buildings in Anstruther Easter, Fife, by the Ministry of Work/Scottish National Buildings Record in July 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions