Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glen Righ, Creag Nam Meall

Building (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glen Righ, Creag Nam Meall

Classification Building (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 341111

Site Number NN06SE 24.03

NGR NN 06617 63948

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/341111

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmallie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Activities

Field Visit (July 2014)

This roofless, slate-built building measures approximately 10.5 metres in length by approximately 4.5m in width internally with walls 0.7m in thickness and is of drystone construction. There is evidence of at last one window edge and a central entrance on its south east wall. There is evidence of at least one partition wall at its east end.

This building is depicted as roofed on the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire (Mainland), surveyed 1870 (published 1873), sheet CLXVI) and on Ordnance survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire (Mainland), surveyed 1899 (published 1903), sheet CLXVI). It may be that this building is associated with the abandoned slate quarry to the north (NN06SE 24.00). The building and Creag nam Meall (Rock of the Hillocks) on which it sits is now in a Forestry Commission plantation.

Visited by RCAHMS (MMD/IA), 30th July 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions