Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Anstruther Easter, School Green, St Adrian's Parish Church

Church (17th Century), Commemorative Monument (17th Century), Bell (17th Century)

Site Name Anstruther Easter, School Green, St Adrian's Parish Church

Classification Church (17th Century), Commemorative Monument (17th Century), Bell (17th Century)

Canmore ID 34065

Site Number NO50SE 14

NGR NO 56654 03727

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34065

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Anstruther Easter
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO50SE 14.00 56654 03727

NO50SE 14.01 NO 5665 0372 Burial-ground

NO50SE 14.02 NO 56673 02684 Churchyard Walls

The partition of the parish of Kilrenny had been contemplated for some time and in 1639 the town was disjoined by the General Assembly. In 1641, East Anstruther was erected into a separate parish after an Act of Parliament giving effect to this was passed in 1639.

W Wood 1887

(NO 5665 0372) Anstruther Easter Parish Church was built on the partition of the parish of Kilrenny, usually given as 1636, but the S doorway is dated 1634.

The church is oblong with two N aisles. The W gable is surmounted by a lofty bell tower, the lower part of which was built at the same time as the church and the upper part added ten years later.

RCAHMS 1933

In normal use.

Visited by OS (JP) 28 May 1974.

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE:

Erection of the New Kirk.

The Ministers and Parishioners of Kilrenny agree to the building of the new Kirk and the Town Council consents to it being disjoint from the parish Kirk of Kilrenny.

Minutes.

GD/147/55/1/12 and 13

1638-1639

Erection of the New Kirk.

Act of Parliament.

GD/147/55/1/15-18x

1641

Erection of the Kirk.

The following are noted in Memorials concerning the stipend.

1632. The kirkyard finished.

1637. The Kirk built.

1644. The steeple built.

[Post 1709] GD/147/55/1/27-28x

Activities

Antiquarian Observation (1857 - 1861)

Mason's marks from Scottish churches, abbeys and castles recorded between 1857 and 1861 on 29 drawings in the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Collection.

Photographic Survey (July 1963)

Photographic survey of buildings in Anstruther Easter, Fife, by the Ministry of Work/Scottish National Buildings Record in July 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions