Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Meikle Kinord

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Meikle Kinord

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Meikle Kinnord

Canmore ID 33986

Site Number NO49NW 19

NGR NO 4407 9891

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33986

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NO49NW 19 4407 9891

A chapel was built near Meikle Kinord (NO 44 98) in the 16th century to serve the castle in Loch Kinord (NO49NW 16). There is now no trace, but the sites of chapel and graves were pointed out before 1858, and the walls and gravemounds were remembered by older inhabitants in 1910. A Medieval font of rough granite, 5 feet 2 1/2 inches in circumference, was found near the site of the chapel.

J G Michie 1910; J Stuart 1868.

No trace of chapel or graveyard, but it is believed locally that the private chapel at NO 4407 9891 occupies the site of an older chapel. This later structure built c 1880, was converted into a museum in 1912 to house the oak canoes etc found in the area, but is now used only as a hay-store.

Visited by OS (N K B) 12 November 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions