Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mid Dod

Farmhouse (Post Medieval), Fortified House (Medieval)

Site Name Mid Dod

Classification Farmhouse (Post Medieval), Fortified House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Old House Of Dod

Canmore ID 33577

Site Number NO44NE 8

NGR NO 4921 4992

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33577

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Forfar
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO44NE 8 4921 4992.

The old house of Dod, though called a castellated fortalice or keep, was a paltry place. It stood immediately E of the present home offices, and was only recently pulled down.

A J Warden 1880-5.

The farmer at Mid Dod stated that the building at NO 4921 4992, now used as a bothy, was formerly the old farmhouse and may be on the site of "The old house of Dod". It is a low, single-storeyed building and shows no trace of antiquity. On its NE corner are the figures 36, presumably indicating 1836.

Visited by OS (W D J) 5 Septmber 1967.

Activities

Field Visit (March 1978)

Mid Dod NO 492 499 NO44NE 8

The small 'fortalice or keep' which was demolished in the early 19th century may have been that extant in 1650.

RCAHMS 1978, visited March 1978

(Warden 1880-85, v, 90-1, 92)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions