Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, 24 Albert Square, Albert Institute

Museum (19-20th Century)

Site Name Dundee, 24 Albert Square, Albert Institute

Classification Museum (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dundee Museum And Art Gallery; Mcmanus Galleries; Free Library

Canmore ID 33555

Site Number NO43SW 91

NGR NO 40279 30475

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33555

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Summary Record (2011)

Designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott (1865-7) as the Albert Institute in a mixture of styles of contintental Gothic and Scottish vernacular, complete with crow stepped gables. The central section was completed in 1873 and the Eastern Gallery extension was added in 1887 by William Alexander, the City Architect.

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 91.00 40279 30475

NO43SW 91.01 NO 4025 3047 Pictish Symbol Stone

NO43SW 91.02 NO 4025 3047 Pictish Symbol Stone

NO43SW 91.03 NO 4025 3047 Pictish Symbol Stone

NO43SW 91.04 NO 4025 3047 Pictish Symbol Stone

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Albert Institute

Architect: Sir G. Gilbert Scott 1865-6

David McKenzie 1873 (extension)

William Alexander 1887-9 (second extension)

Activities

Photographic Survey (9 September 2010)

Photographed by RCAHMS on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions