Cist (Early Medieval), Cist(S) (Bronze Age), Midden (Mesolithic), Axehead (Stone), Food Vessel
Site Name Dundee, Stannergate
Alternative Name(s) Craigie; Stannergate Promontory; Dundee Harbour
Canmore ID 33477
Site Number NO43SW 20
NGR NO 427 310
NGR Description NO c. 427 310
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Dundee, City Of
- Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District City Of Dundee
- Former County Angus
NO43SW 20 c. 427 310
For general summary of Dundee Harbour and the Port of Dundee, see NO43SW 109.
(Area: NO 427 310) A mesolithic kitchen midden overlaid at a height of 8' by a cist cemetery was discovered in 1878 on Stannergate Promontory (NO 427 310) (OS 6" map, Forfarshire, 2nd ed., 1879) during the extension of Dundee Harbour. The midden measured at least 100' x 60'; it produced flints, charcoal, worked bone and 'a small finely polished celt of flinty slate' (Mathewson 1879).
The cists included at least eight long and four short cists, but many more were destroyed before they could be examiled. All contained bones and in one a food vessel was found. Cists were found a few yards N of this site about 1833 when the railway was being constructed.
A Mathewson 1879; A J Warden 1880-5; J Anderson 1886; Paton and Millar 1912; A D Lacaille 1944.
No finds from this site are in Dundee Museum but a few flints at present in University College, Dundee, will be presented to the Museum.
Visited by OS (J L D) 21 April 1958; Information from J D Boyd, curator, Dundee Museum.
The stone axe from this site is now in Dundee Museum (Accession no: 1964-67). It is of tuff, and classified as Group VI.
H Coutts 1971.
The stone axe (DMAG 64-67) has been petrologically identified as andesitic tuff.
TH McK Clough and WA Cummins 1988.