Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Powrie Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Powrie Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Powrie Old Castle

Canmore ID 33476

Site Number NO43SW 2

NGR NO 42141 34572

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33476

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Murroes (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 2 4214 3458.

(NO 4214 3458) Powrie Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1969)

Powrie Castle, formerly Wester Powrie, consists of two buildings 45ft apart.

The southern is the older, a massive rectangular 16th century structure with a circular tower at the NE corner. It is now ruinous, although the vaulted ground floor is entire and the first floor containing the hall almost so. The entrance is in the N face of the main structure.

The northern range, dated 1604, is a fine example of early 17th century domestic work - a long narrow structure two storeys high with a round tower at the NW corner. It is in a good state of preservation (Listed: A).

The intervening area is said to have been a paved court, flanked on the E by a range of buildings known as Lady Kinnaird's Quarters. There is little doubt that the W side was also enclosed.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

The vaulted ground floor and the circular tower of the older building are in fair condition, but the W part of the building has collapsed.

The northern building is roofed and in use as farm dwellings.

Visited by OS (J L D) 29 April 1958.

Powrie Castle is as described. Wester Powrie, as it was formerly called, was granted by William the Lion to the Laird of Ogilvy about 1170 and remained with that family until acquired by Thomas Fotherington in 1412. The castle was destroyed by the Scrymgeours of Dudhope in 1492, and the present older building was probably erected thereafter on the same site. This itself was damaged in 1547 by the English, who 'spoiled and

burnt ... the Castle of Wester Powrie with the village adjacent'.

N Tranter 1962-70.

Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1980.

Architecture Notes

Photographed by the Listed Buildings Area Survey

June 2010.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions