Dundee, The Houff, Franciscan Friary
- Council Dundee, City Of
- Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District City Of Dundee
- Former County Angus
NO43SW 11 4015 3030.
(Name: NO 4012 3030) Supposed Site of Greyfriars Monastery (NR) (1260)
OS 1:500 plan, Dundee, Forfarshire, (1871)
A Franciscan friary was founded in Dundee between 1284 and 1289, and was partly burned in 1335. In 1543, the friary was sacked by Reformers and was probably burned in 1548.
By 1560 the magistrates were in possession of the lands and buildings and in September 1564 Queen Mary gave permission for the use of the place and yard formerly belonging to the friars as a public burying-ground.
Maxwell (1891) states that it stood in the southern part of the Howff.
A Maxwell 1891; D E Easson 1957.
At NO 4015 3032 is a slightly raised area which could indicate building foundations, but this could not be substantiated and grave-stones cover it.
Visited by OS (J L D) 17 April 1958.