Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Broughty Ferry, Fort Hill

Fort (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Broughty Ferry, Fort Hill

Classification Fort (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 33393

Site Number NO43SE 12

NGR NO 4637 3129

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33393

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SE 12 4637 3129.

(NO 4637 3129) Fort Hill site of Fort (NR)

OS 6" map, Forfarshire, 2nd ed., (1923)

The works of this fort were demolished in 1550. Not more than 60 years ago, the wall remained in some places 12' in height.

NSA 1845.

This is the site of a fort or military post. It was fortified by the English in 1548, as a flanking post of their principal garrison. The draw-well which suuplied the garrison with water was later cleared out. (Several finds of cannon balls, graves and iron objects were found). Foundations on north.

Name Book 1859.

Any remains of fort and draw well, have now been erased by private gardens and houses.

The site occupies the crest of a prominent hill overlooking the River Tay.

Visited by OS (J L D) 30 April 1958.

Activities

Reference (1880 - 1885)

The English had an encampment on Fort Hill or Balgillo Hill in 1547, and when erecting the new mansion of Castleroy in 1870 traces of foritifications were found, together with human remains and fragments of weapons.

A J Warden 1880-5.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions