Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rum, Kinloch River

Aqueduct (19th Century), Dam (19th Century)

Site Name Rum, Kinloch River

Classification Aqueduct (19th Century), Dam (19th Century)

Canmore ID 333477

Site Number NM39NE 39

NGR NM 36367 99228

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Small Isles
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire


Field Visit (August 2011)

This dam diverts water draining north from Long Loch from its natural path heading north into Kilmory Glen into an aqueduct, some 530m in length, which carries it NNE to join a tributary of the Kinloch River at NM 3660 9968. This arrangement, which allowed salmon to travel up to Long Loch from the Kinloch River, was part of a larger scheme initiated by Lord Salisbury, then owner of the island, in 1849. This particular element must post-date the collapse of the ‘Salisbury’ dam (NM39NE 27) in c1854 and it is most probably the work undertaken by a Mr MacPhie and 23 men from March 1855 (Love 2001, 192). The aqueduct seems to have been incomplete by 1877 when it is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6 inch map ((Argyllshire (Islands of Rum, Sanday etc) 1879, Sheet LX). The last section of 90m, which linked the existing section with the tributary of the Kilmory River, and the construction of the dam was completed before 1898 (OS Inverness-shire (Isle of Skye) 1903, Sheet LX).

Visited by RCAHMS (GFG) August 2011.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions