Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kingennie

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Kingennie

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 33347

Site Number NO43NE 7

NGR NO 47 35

NGR Description NO c. 47 35

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33347

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Monifieth (Angus)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43NE 7 c. 47 35.

Dundee Official Handbook mentions the 'remains of an ancient keep' at Kingennie. Warden states that some alterations have been made to the old Castle of Kingennie, but its S front is unaltered; some parts of the walls are very thick.

On the walls of the farm buildings at Kingennie are some sculptured arms of the Wedderburns and Drummonds - one, on the S wall of the granary, is dated 1639. These stones came from the house occupied by the Wedderburns in the 17th century.

The lands of Kingennie are mentioned in 1368.

A J Warden 1880-5; J Macolm 1910; Dundee Official Handbook 1923.

The date stone mentioned by Malcolm is in the S wall of the farm building at NO 4720 3505. All the buildings around Kingennie and Kingennie House (NO 4771 3534) are modern, and no remains of a castle were seen.

Visited by OS (J L D) 15 May 1958.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions