Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 89 East Claremont Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (Second World War), Drill Hall (First World War)

Site Name Edinburgh, 89 East Claremont Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (Second World War), Drill Hall (First World War)

Canmore ID 333065

Site Number NT27NE 1678

NGR NT 25685 75093

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/333065

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (11 November 2013)

The East Claremont Street drill hall is first depicted on the 1:2500 map of the area surveyed in 1912-13 (it was not on a map surveyed in 1906). Osborne reports the building as being by Rhind, 1912, in free Renaissance style with a pedimented centre-piece and semi-dormers on the second floor. The ground floor has symmetrical bay windows in the last bay at east and west ends. Windows on the exposed (eastern) gable. Large halls behind.

In 1914 the building was the HQ of the 9th battalion, the Royal Scots, and base for "A" to "H" Companies of the battalion. It is still a Territorial Army Centre.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 6 November 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions