Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Murroes House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Murroes House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Murroes Castle

Canmore ID 33306

Site Number NO43NE 10

NGR NO 46117 35034

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Murroes (Angus)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43NE 10.00 46117 35034.

NO43NE 10.01 NO 46169 35086 Dovecot

(NO 4611 3503) Murroes Castle (NR), (NO 4617 3508) Dovecot (NAT)

OS 25" map, (1965)

Murroes Castle (Tranter 1962-70) Murroes House (MacGibbon and Ross 1887-92) is a small late 16th century fortalice. At one time a bothy for farm workers, it has been restored.

There is a long narrow main block of two storeys, lying N-S, with a circular stair-tower projecting centrally to the W. The walls are well supplied with shot-holes and gunloops, and the original windows have moulded surrounds. The entrance is at first-floor level on the E, reached by a modern forestair - no doubt formerly of timber and removable - but this is ground level on the W, due to the sloping site. There is no internal vaulting. It was built by the Fotheringham family. Its dovecot is mentioned in 1684-5

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; N Tranter 1962-70.

Murroes Castle - name confirmed (information from Mr J Wilkie, occupier) is as described. The dovecot is circular and no doubt contemporary (if not slightly earlier) with the house.

Visited by OS (J L D) 14 May 1958.

Confirmed as 'Murroes House', 17th century Dovecot in good condition.

Visited by OS (RCAHMS (JBS) 12 July 1985.

Architecture Notes


Conical roof added to turret 1942.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions