Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, High Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War)

Site Name Linlithgow, High Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War)

Canmore ID 333053

Site Number NT07NW 318

NGR NT 00214 77055

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/333053

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (28 October 2013)

The drill hall first appears on the 3rd epoch map (surveyed 1913), behind the County Buildings. Osborne (2006) reports it as having been built 1910-11 and demolished in the 1930s. In 1914 it was the drill station for "D" Squadron, Lothian & Borders Horse, and was the HQ of the 10th [Cyclist] Battalion, Royal Scots, and the base for "A" Company of that unit.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 28 October 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions