Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Cathedral Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Cathedral Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 333011

Site Number NS56NE 5037

NGR NS 59817 65526

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/333011

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (24 October 2013)

The drill hall is marked on both the 2nd and 3rd epoch OS maps of the area. In the earlier map (1893) the hall was in the centre of a city block, approached by a narrow passage from Cathedral Street. By 1910 the hall had had a large extension built to the east to give a frontage on Taylor Street.

In 1914 the hall was the HQ for the 5th battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and the base for "A" to "H" Companies.

The whole area has been redeveloped and the site is now occupied by Strathclyde University.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 24 October 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions